January 16, 2012

Recycling guitar strings into jewelry


Attractive items made of recycled stuff are my weakness and I'm an "easy mark" at arts festivals. I've posted about some of my findings before.

So once again last week, I just had to look closer at the Strung Up Jewelry booth during Jensen Beach Arts Festival in Florida. The "Jewelry from Recycled Guitar Strings" sign caught my eye.

Then Glen and Rose, the friendly cofounders of Concerts of Hope, had my complete attention as they told their story of fighting the stigma of mental illness and hoping to go to the 2012 NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Convention. 

They encourage the buyers of their unique jewelry to tell their story. To "wear it and share it" to raise awareness of mental illness. I am now the proud owner of one of their hand-crafted pieces and telling their story. They are inspirational artists, musicians and advocates. I wish them well on their journey.