August 15, 2012

West Nile virus on the move?

Mosquitoes wait for me here.
The alarming outbreak of West Nile virus in Texas, and 10 deaths so far, is somewhat frightening. How fast can these skeeters move to my state? Unlike the majority of the country, Virginia has had frequent rains this summer. So conditions are ripe for breeding skeeters.

The old adage, "You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't," comes to mind. I detest dousing myself with DEET, but that's the only reliable repellent when it comes to mosquitoes. I have even tried some mosquito repellent apps on my iPhone. They emit high frequency sounds that supposedly repel the pests, and I haven't been bitten lately, but I don't want to play Russian Roulette with mosquitoes either. It probably only takes one bite to send one to the ER.

Click here to read some helpful tips from NRDC about using DEET.