October 23, 2013

Recycle your old sneakers

Want to recycle your old gardening sneakers? Or the ones that are way too weathered to donate to Goodwill, but you want to keep them out of the landfill? You can “upcycle” them by dropping them off at most Nike Outlets or stores.

Nike Reuse-a-Shoe takes worn out athletic shoes and grinds them down to create a new material, Nike Grind, used in high-quality sports surfaces including courts, turf fields and tracks. Since 1990, Nike has transformed 28 million pairs of shoes and 36,000 tons of scrap material into Nike Grind in more than 450,000 locations around the world—covering approximately 632,000,000 square feet.  That is nearly enough to cover the entire island of Manhattan (23 square miles).

When you look at the rest of our clothing, we’re shamelessly wasteful too. According to the Council for Textile Recycling, the average American tosses 70 pounds of clothing per year. Of that, only 15 percent finds new life as industrial rags, insulation, carpet padding, seat stuffing, and even paper. The other 85 percent? Landfilled.